16 March 2008

So Long, Farewell!

School is one of the most important part of a human’s life, for not only does school prepare one for the challenges that lie ahead and moulds a child’s personality, but also gives to a person what he/she will always look back upon as his/her golden years and whose memories he/she will always cherish.

I had joined this school in 1993 as a chubby cheeked, 2 foot 8 inches boy. Much has changed in my appearance (I still retain a little of that chubbiness), but one thing, one over-powering emotion has always stayed with me for all these years- my great love for this school, for what it was, what it is and what it will be. The 14 years of my life that I spent in this school are very dear to me; they are the golden years that I will always cherish.

Like every other student, I too have had my share of ups and downs and my life has been extremely eventful. From peeing in my pants in Montessori 1 (I still remember that horrible day-I wasn’t able to get to the loo in time!) to puking on my class teacher in 4th (she was standing in front of the door and wouldn’t let me out because I didn’t say where I was going, so I vomited on her); from starting a Society for ‘Sober Students’ in 8th (its another matter that it was closed down in just 2 months- the members just wouldn’t pay their weekly share!) to leading the Editorial Board as the Chief Editor in 11th and 12th, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this school. Yes, there have been times when I felt like locking all the teachers in the staff room, or slapping some very pesky girls, or even proposing to a good looking one, but thankfully, I have managed to steer away from all such ‘extra-curricular’ activities.

But now, it is the end. Even as I write this article, it is, as Churchill famously said, the beginning of the end. In less than 4 months, I will cease to be a school student. While Vijay Malaya may claim Kingfisher to be the ‘King of Good Times’, for me (and I’m sure for many others around me), Bal Bharati has been the best of and has brought out the best in all our lives. So as I bid adieu to this wonderful place called school, the words of an unforgettable Rogers and Hammerstein haunt me again and again- “So long, farewell, we hate to say goodbye!!!”…

No comments: